March 16, 2008

Take it from me

Yesterday, I returned from yet another trip to Mumbai. As usual I started off the conversation with the auto driver to beat the traffic jam boredom. He was knowledgeable on all the latest cars that were passing by. He talked about intricate details of cars - this car has 8 cylinders, what cars were popular in which part of the world and so on. He said he gained knowledge on vehicles while he served as a driver in Saudi Arabia for 15 years.

I asked him why he took to driving auto after making money abroad for 15 years. He said that he lost the money over the last three years. He never gave me a direct answer. He said, "Please take it from me, give your woman only the money she needs - never all that you have".

As I was getting down, he said that he has plans to return to Saudi - not for a moment regretting that he had lost the money. He said he is happy he still has a woman who supports him through the years of separation - regardless what she may have done to protect his interests.

As I left I noted that I had forgotten to ask his name.

Who says relationships have died in India. This is the land of paradox.

No comments: