June 05, 2010

Wanderers

I have been observing this person for the past couple of days. He sat silently in the temple not talking to anyone and not entering the temple always. Sometimes when the heat increased he came inside.

We were taking part in an event that involved reading of a religious text (Srimad Bhagavatham) for seven days. The days ended with a discourse by wise men on the philosophy of life. As is customary in temples, food was served during the entire period.

On the fourth day, I met him at another temple. That is when I noticed that he had a kit but appeared to be in no hurry to go anywhere. From his body language, I understood that this temple was his temporary halting place and the small kit held all of his belongings. He spends his nights at this temple and comes to the other one to spend his days – to have his breakfast, lunch and dinner, free of cost.

When I saw him he flashed a smile of recognition. He introduced himself as chandrashekharan from North Kerala. And then he opened up making his mind to speak in halting english. He is a loner. He has his parents and siblings but never depended on them. He said he just goes from place to place and wherever finds a place he can spend some time (get free food) he spends the time till the next function starts somewhere else.

He said that he does not have anyone but has the entire world working for him, ensuring that he survived. He has gone places throughout India as far as Allahabad, Hrishikesh, Badrinath and Kashmir – traveling alone and without spending a rupee. He says that he gets most help from people around the temples, from police and the army (surprised me). Three times he tried going to Kedarnath and failed – he will try this year too.

Gave me an insight into how people manage to survive and to what extent people are willing to push their way of life.

He said he takes life one day at a time (divided by three – food times). He said he likes the way he lived without knowing what he would like to do with life or how he would spend the next day. He seemed to be genuinely happy. I failed to understand that he needs to do something with his life. At last he made his point – he is interested in the journey of life – not the destination. Go wherever life takes you.

I was trying to compare myself, who gets anxious if a single insurance premium is overdue, with this man who does not know and does not care from where his next meal is going to come from. I sit at a home that I could call mine after 20 years, having a steady job working for someone else, maintaining a seemingly happy family and yet looking forward to reach a destination that is alluringly near all the time.

At 2 am, he disappeared – he continuing on his journey and I staring at the destination. I wonder who the wanderer is – him or me.

No comments: